Sunday, January 25, 2009

Doggie Day Care Murder by Laurien Berenson

I seem to be on a dog story kick these days, having recently completed "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" in the not too distant past. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for books that have animals among the cast of characters. Animals have such distinctive personalities that can be exploited under the power of the pen as easily as those of humans.

At any rate, the is the first Laurien Berenson mystery I've read and I'll probably go back and read others in her "Melanie Travis Mystery" series. The heroine is a teacher who is on leave after giving birth to her second son. Juggling a young family is part of the story line in this book, although Melanie does manage to get herself in the deepest do-do while her spouse is minding the kids.

In this book Melanie is kajoled into helping the owner of a doggie day care discover who killed her brother and partner in the day care business. There are the usual cast of suspects-- the maintenance guy, the sister/partner, the silent partner, and a variety of jealous husbands from the dead guy's amourous misadventures.

I can't say this is the most amusing or the best written mystery of all time, but it is amusing enough to keep me reading and wanting to read more of Melanie Travis' sleuth stories.

Liz Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment