Sunday, November 1, 2009

The 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

Those who read my reviews regularly know that I don't review a lot of non-fiction.  That doesn't mean that I don't read a lot of non-fiction. I get so much of my non-fiction reading from the research I do for my "day job" which is content management and freelance writing.  I typically read two or three reports per day, several blogs and at least one newspaper.  In addition, I will listen to one or two rebroadcasts of webinars or teleconferences per day as I get other things done.  So, I certainly do spend the majority of my time absorbing information.  When I kick back my reading is almost always fiction...

A few times per year, however, a non-fiction book comes to my attention as a "must read.   Ferriss' book,"The 4 Hour Workweek," has been on the radar for a couple of years, and I finally picked it up last week at the behest of Nathan Jurewicz, the Short Sale Kid. He is an example of a twenty-something millionaire who took Ferriss' system to heart early on and now lives the 4 Hour Workweek lifestyle.

The heart of Ferriss' advice is to outsource.  In my present situation I AM an outsourcer other entrepreneurs will turn to to get their article writing and blogging done.  However, my partner and I are working diligently to turn our business into a turnkey system where we form writing and web development teams under managers to take care of our client's sites. We have been focusing on people who are already online, and that is one model--- supplying the people who are already successful with a way to get the content done for sites that can be projected out to strong sales as the traffic is built organically. The other model we are working to build up right now is one that is local-- helping successful local businesses become even more successful by capturing a log of the local traffic in niche areas.  So, one of the things Ferriss' book does is to confirm the model we are developing.  That's somewhat comforting to have someone like Timothy Ferriss confirm the appropriateness of the model.

Another aspect of the book is helping entrepreneurs make the most of the time that is freed up.  Just because someone manages to replace himself in his work does not make someone happy.  It is important to have a vision of what you want to do with your time and to do something that is socially and intellectually redeeming and challenging.  Ferriss travels the world having new experiences and meeting new people.  He also gives back through social service and charitable giving.  Both are very important to having a fulfilling life.

The 4 Hour Workweek is neither the best written nor the most original book of its kind, but it certainly has had a wide impact on entrepreneurs around the world.  It is therefore required reading for anyone who is an entrepreneur or wants to become a successful entrepreneur.

Liz Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment